Gather Information is no longer a skill. Instead, you handle gathering information using a variety of skills. Each skill has a unique way of gathering information, and some skills are better suited than others at gathering information under certain circumstances.
- Knowledge: Bureaucracy: You turn to bureaucratic methods to gather the information you’re looking for. This usually takes longer than normal, as there is a great deal of red tape that one needs to bypass to access restricted information. To speed things up, or to access information that you lack the credentials for, you or someone else may make a Deception check in conjunction with your Bureaucracy check.
- Knowledge: Social Sciences: You can use your knowledge of criminology to tap into underworld connections. You can find just about anything on the Information Market, but of course everything comes with a price.
- Persuasion: Using Persuasion to gather information typically involves carousing with others and greasing some hands with money. This can be one of the most effective, yet dangerous, methods of gathering information.
- Research: If the topic of information would relate to one of your knowledge skills, you might be able to conduct research. This typically involves sifting through databases and contacting individuals within your knowledge network (for instance, someone with Life Science could have biologist contacts he could call upon).
- Use Computer: As per the skill. Attempting to search for particularly sensitive topics may alert others on a failure.
When attempting to gather information, you can do one of the following:
- Cover your Tracks: You spend twice the usual amount of time in your pursuit of information, as you take a great deal of care to only follow safe leads, and to ensure that others are not aware of your searching. By taking a -5 penalty to the relevant skill check, you do not alert others of your search on a failed check.
- Throw Caution to the Wind: You are not concerned at all with your searching habits, and pursue any lead possible. You only spend half the usual amount of time to gather information, and you gain a +2 bonus on your check. If you do not succeed on your check by five or more, you alert others of your search.